Brightside of the Rez


Welcome to the Bishop
Paiute Reservation.
On a trip back to the reservation, the Bishop Paiute Reservation, I was able go back home for one of my regular visits to the place I had lived the longest in my life.  I grew up on our Reservation back in the...well, lets just say that I spent about 20 years of my life living on the Bishop Paiute Reservation.  Below is a picture of me when I was younger, in deep thought.  Probably dreaming about becoming a Future Blogger. I might have just been mad that my older brothers & cousins didn't want me to help dig that huge hole in the ground they covered with scrap plywood to make a fort or create a swimming hole with a board & huge rock for a diving board, down at the creek. (YOU know who you are!)

Some serious day dreaming.
In Indian Country I say to people  "I'm Native, Bishop Paiute." Then they say to me, "Do you know Jasmine Andreas?" haha! She is one of our tribal members which she gets asked the same question about me. Its funnier when I over explain the details in person. But an official statement possibly more acceptable to the BIA would sound something like this, "I am an enrolled member of the federally recognized, Bishop Paiute Tribe."  How did that sound?

I have been living in the city, for many years now, Washington, DC.  It is a long way from home but I get back at least 4-5 times a year.  I spent several of those years working with Indian Country.  These past few years, I have had amazing opportunities to meet & learn about so many of the different Native people and their tribes throughout the United States.  Hear them tell their stories of growing up native and on the rez.  The silly questions we get asked and how people are so happy to tell us how they have native ancestry.  

If your an Optimist, it shows!
All my life, I have always been an optimist.  It wasn't until recently that I realized how long I have been one and I needed to come out of the closet about it.  Yes, I get people who call me dingy, unrealistic or naive but I always look for the bright side of a situation and it is actually got me through some of the tough times. Wouldn't you rather laugh then cry, sometimes your laughing because your crying so much. 

Recently, I went back home to the rez for a visit and did some of the things I love about it.  I was sitting outside with my folks talking, as our neighbors honk to say hello as they drive by and we wave back.  Here in the city people honk to say, GET OUT of my way.  Cruised the rez with my uncle (who has always called me chubby since I was a little girl) to see all the new development happening. We're getting two new streets, it was actually exciting to see. 

Since I was jet-lagged and waking up at 4 am anyways, I didn't mind going over at 6:30 am to helped my niece feed her horse. Then I walked them to the bus stop. While we walked, I told them a story about how we use to watch for the bus stoping at the stop before ours.  When we saw it we yelled, "THE BUS IS COMING!" And yes, I did scream it like I was back in grade school.  My nieces just laughed at me or as we say, 'laughing with you'. 

These memories and stories reminded me their is so much good and happiness around in our native communities.  We just don't hear them or share them as often.  So a few of us are going to share our bright side of the rez and we hope you will too because it is these positive experiences that shape us and get us to where we really want to go. 

Comments

Popular Posts