Optimism, smiles & laughter, OH MY!

Tammy & I squinting while playing in
the Carl Willis Memorial Golf Tournament.
This post is dedicated to my friend Tammy.  We are both Paiute and grew up on the same reservation back home in Bishop.  I don't remember when I first met her but what I do remember is laughing, smiling and playing basketball or softball with her.  That one moment, where we say, "Hi, my name is…" or someone introducing us, it no longer exists in my mind.  

We were both pretty athletic growing up and in high school played on the same basketball & softball teams.  (She was much better then I was.) Even after we graduated, we continued to play in Native tournaments.  Spending all weekend on a hot softball field throwing, hitting, chasing a little white ball with an oversized, leather mitt on our hands. Going back to work or school on Monday with our faces sunburnt and muscles sore, in our younger years we may have taken home the championship.  That seems like a lifetime ago and just thinking about it makes me miss the flexibility, athleticism and endurance we use to have.  

A few months ago I was home and happened to stop by her office to say hello.  We sat and talked for what seems like 10 or 15 minutes but after I left, I know it was much longer.  We were able to catch up on things recent, such as her beautiful new grand baby and teaching him some of our cultural traditions. We also recalled old memories like a trip to Iowa for a high school basketball camp. We even got stay with one of the local families and waterski on the Mississippi River.  We recalled our hostess had a little 'high school girl' drama that we were spectators to.  Looking back, it seemed so silly and now we just laughed out loud about it.  To see how far we have come and looking forward to the many years we have ahead of us…it was a moment I will hold dear.

We don't get to see each other much anymore but one thing I love about the Rez are the people like Tammy.  Full of optimism, smiles and laughter.  Her desire to be the leader of her family and the home she has built. She is the kind of person who will let me give her a real hug when I see her and makes the day a brighter one.  She certainly did for me one day, three months ago and again today.  She is truly the Brightside of Rez.  




Comments

Popular Posts