Free for Now - (Native Youth Writers)

I used to look for the exit, a fast place to go hide
Finding myself getting lost for the high
Crashing hard in the arms of a pretender - a fake
Jumping from one place fast to another
Ending up here where I am now.
Knowing for a fact things will go better before they go down.
But as soon as I can I'll be free...For then.

Author preferred to remain anonymous.
Age 17, Paiute
Bishop Indian Education Center

These poems were submitted as part of a gathering of “Thoughts from Native Youth”.  The Young Native authors of these poems were published as part of the 2015 Collectors Edition of “Indian Education: Meeting the Challenge.”  Many of the writers wished to remain anonymous once their words were published but they certainly had the courage to take the first steps to submit their work in order to contribute to the Native Youth conversations.


Comments

Popular Posts