"Just Pick Up Where You Left Off."


"Just Pick Up Where You Left Off."
By Sky Vasquez

A lot has happened in the past year that has distracted me from the blog.  I haven't written or posted anything recently and trying to find that bright side to the tragic circumstances my family has endured, it wasn't all that easy.  But as I use to tell people, "It's in those darkest moments that we truly need to hold on to the positive."

Well, it was hard to take my own advise and a new year is here, 2017.  I just didn't know how or what to write about.  By the way, why do the years seem to go by faster and faster? My elders were right, time does fly by as you get older.  I suppose the only thing I can do is hold on and enjoy the ride, right? 

We're into the third month of this new year and two years of major changes in my life, I sit here trying to figure out what to write.  It has been so long since I posted, should I even continue with the blog? Is anyone going to read it? Who really cares if there is anything positive happening on the Rez anyway?  I hop on Facebook & Twitter and see people sharing negative things and it just gets me down. Then I remember a quote I shared a few days ago.

"If you've lost track of your goals, just pick up where you left off."  My goal was to share positive stories that happen on tribal reservations.  Was it really that simple?  So I should just start writing where I left off last time?  I guess I won't find out until I try.  The last posts were poems written by native youth, from our Paiute Tribe,  and they had the courage to submit them for publication.  If they can do that, I should be able to continue to share positive stories on the blog. 

So, here I go.  I will just write what I see and let's see who joins me along the way. Plus we will give the blog a new look.  I hope you enjoy it.

Little Sky Vasquez is Paiute/Navajo and grew up on the Bishop Paiute Reservation.  She spent her life working for a number of native organizations & Native owned businesses in California, Washington DC & Washington State.  Always a smile on her face, a mother, artist and eternal optimist.  Her and her son currently reside in Portland, OR. 


Comments

Popular Posts