Goodbye - (Native Youth Writers)

I usually don't care when people go astray,
But you, I'll miss day to day.
I'm sorry but I can't help but to push you away,
I guess, it just makes it easier for when that day gets here.
I hate to admit it but losing you is my biggest fear.
I know it's hard to tell I care,
To open up to you in here, I don't care.
I hope to see you when I leave,
And that I will, is what I believe.

The distance between us, I feel it growing,
I hope my old self isn't showing.
When I really think of you leaving,
Inside I get this hollow feeling.
It follows me in my dreams and after I wake,
My "I don't care" attitude is just a fake.
To show the weakness I refuse,
Camouflage is what I use.
I will never tell you goodbye,
If I did, it'd be a lie.
More like an, "I'll see you later."

Preferred to remain Anonymous
Age 16, Paiute
Bishop Indian Education Center

These poems were submitted as part of a gathering of “Thoughts from Native Youth”.  The Young Native authors of these poems were published as part of the 2015 Collectors Edition of “Indian Education: Meeting the Challenge.”  Many of the writers wished to remain anonymous once their words were published but they certainly had the courage to take the first steps to submit their work in order to contribute to the Native Youth conversations.

Comments

Popular Posts