The Rez produces GREAT role models.

I was working on an event in 2012 where a Native Attorney by the name of Wilson Pipestem, Otoe-Missouria Tribe, gave a keynote address.   He told a story about how his father would take him to his tribal council meetings when he was a little boy.  Little Wilson would have to sit there quietly, listen & watch. This was the beginning of his participation with his tribe and his career of helping Indian country.

After hearing this story I couldn't help but think back to my own memories of when I would go to meetings w/ my mom. Watching her on council and being involved with our Bishop Paiute community. Taking me & my brothers to these events to watch & learn.  Looking back, I can see why I want to be involved with helping my people.

A few weeks ago, I had a bit of a stressful morning. My son & I were running late and here in the city, if you are not on time, you can't drop your kids off at school. When I realized he wouldn't be in school all day, I would have to change my schedule for the day. Normally, I would cancel stuff but instead I just took him with me. I had two native functions to attend during NCAI's winter session.  Of course, they were both attended by "grown ups" as my son would say but I just told him he needed to be on his best behavior and he was gonna have to spend all day with "boring" adults.  (Lesson he learned: This is why it's important to always be on time.)

We actually had a great day and what I realized is, I had introduced him to the world of natives helping our people succeed. Just as my mother did for me & Wilson's father did for him. We find our role models in our parents, tribal & community members.  As you will see, Sabrina Stone has.

Sabrina Stone is one of our amazing Bishop Paiute Youth.  She knows the challenges of being young but growing up on the Rez, she found a role model. As you watch her video, you will see how important it is for us to listen & lead our Native Youth.  Everyone of us, we are the role models to our Native Youth.   Even if we don't know it.  

Comments

Popular Posts