Watermelon Grandma


By Christopher Billey

Growing up on the Rez has left me with a brain full of great memories.  One of my fondest isn’t from back in the day but from just a few years back.  My Grandmother was one of the most important women in my life and taught me the virtues of hard work especially because she raised me on a farm.


Being a city boy, I took my sons, Christian and Treston, back to the farm as much as I could and I can tell you when I tried to get them to do any type of work they wined and cried and moaned about every little task.  But today under Grandma’s tutelage he gladly picked up a shovel and started after the weeds in the fields.  I always thought she had some kind of magic spell to get the little kids to do what she wanted, my wife calls it wisdom, I disagree. 
Not long afterwards they began their trek back to the trees with a massive watermelon they had just picked.  Treston, was super excited and jumping and yelling as he ran back through the field. It was his first time realizing how farming worked.  It put things in perspective and connected the lessons from school.  He was so excited you’d think he just won the lottery. 
They sat on an old cinderblock bench held together by bailing wire.  They set the watermelon between the two of them and started at it.  Treston’s eyes grew as it was cut in half and he was given the first slice.  And he started at it without any hesitation.  His face was soon covered in watermelon juice as seed clung to the side of his face, it reminded me so much of myself when I was young. I sat and watched them for a bit as they tore into it and I realized they were both at opposite ends of life.  There was a mix of emotion that flooded over me but I realized that I must live in the moment and take in as much of this amazing life moment as I could.  My heart smiled as I remembered sharing melons with her when I was a child and here was my son, 30 years later on the same land with his great grandma sharing the fruits of labor.
I honestly don’t remember much else from that day other than that moment but it is one of the fondest memories I have of the 2 of them on the farm"
Christopher Billey is a Professional Photographer based out of the Phoenix Metro Area in Arizona.  He is Dine' and a father to 2 boys and husband to Tammie Billey.  Who just so happens to be his business partner and Boss, on some occasions.


Comments

Popular Posts