Listening to our Native Youth

Bishop Paiute Youth Council 
What I love about working on Brightside of Rez is the people I get to talk with, especially our Native Youth.  They have so many questions and so much to say when someone is there to listen.  They are full of hope and look at life with so much optimism.

Garrett Rogers at the
Martin Luther King Memorial,
Washington, D.C.
I was lucky enough to spend time with some Bishop Paiute Tribal Youth when they were here in Washington DC this winter.  They attended the 2014 UNITY Midyear Conference (UNITY - United National Indian Tribal Youth). There were so many teenagers and it reminded me of all the youth events I attended when I was young.  How we would exchange addresses to keep in touch, (we didn't have cell phones or email).  We actually had to write letters or call on the telephones with no caller ID or call waiting.

I got to know this talented young man, Garrett Rogers.  He was mello and very laid back but after I sat down and talked with him, he was interested in so many things.  Cooking, drawing, photography, music and he even ran track.  It reminded me of all the dreams and ideas we have when we are young.  I cheer all our native youth to have many dreams and go out to try and achieve them all.  You won't know what you love doing until you try it.  If someone tells you that your dreams are silly, let that be fuel to move you forward with them.

Watch Garrett's video on what puts him in a good mood and how he enjoyed his experience attending 2014 UNITY Midyear.




Comments

Popular Posts